Healing during and after cancer treatment takes time, sometimes more time than we hoped or expected. Sometimes we are healing from the loss of the life before cancer. Sometimes we are healing from the loss of our loved one to the disease. The National Cancer Institute identifies these common challenges include:
- People expect you to do what you did before your cancer.
- You may expect more from your family than you receive.
- You may still need to depend on others during this time.
NCI suggests the following strategies:
- Let others know what you’re able to do as you heal – and what not to expect.
- Know that this is a new time in your life so it may take time to adjust.
- Talk with your children and teens. Be honest and open. Spend time together.
Here are Well Beings Studio resources to help you through this time.
Little Green Monster Project
- REQUEST or DONATE a Little Monster Friend Duffle: Contribute a care duffle to a family impacted by cancer. Request one for your family. Contact us!
- EXPLORE the Full Family LGM Experience. Visit our site!
- DOWNLOAD Resources: Talking to Children about Cancer, Family Activities for Joy and Healing
- SIGN UP for our monthly creative arts workshops!
- VOLUNTEER to sew monsters for families, like Drew is doing below to process his mother’s breast cancer experience. Helping heals!
I am Enough Journal
- DOWNLOAD the I am Enough Journal here.
Wet Wings: Poetry through Breast Cancer
Wet Wings: Poetry through Breast Cancer explores themes of cancer treatment, identity, body image, death and dying, parenting, emotions,
and imagination. Reading through your cancer journey might help you heal!
- LISTEN to the author, Sharon, read poems from Wet Wings, talk about her cancer journey, and lead you through some mindful breathing.
- REQUEST or DONATE a Book: Contribute a book to a cancer survivor . Request a book for someone you love. Contact us!
EXPLORE our blogs! Click on captions below for some examples.